Monday, May 18, 2009

John 12:43

“For they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God.” (NASB)

STRONGS HEBREW/GREEK ORIGINS

“For they loved the approval (doxa: glory, honor, praise, dignity, worship) of men rather than (mallon: more, better, more readily, to a greater degree than) the approval of God.”

SUMMARY

For they loved the honor and praise of men to a greater degree than the honor and praise of God.

MEDITATION

Why do we care so much about what others think of us? Why do we wonder what someone else might think if we do a certain thing, whatever it may be? Why do we often do things in a way that contradicts what we personally believe or feel, just in order to please others? This can be summed up in one word – bondage. Too many times I choose to do what is easy and acceptable in the eyes of men rather than what I know would please my Father. May this not be so today. May boldness rise up within us as we stand on His Word and strive to please Him above all others. I’m not saying rebel and be rude, I am saying that the LORD must be pleased above men. Today, I choose to please my Father so that I may receive His approval, no matter what it looks like to those around me.

No comments: