Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ezekiel 14:6

“Therefore say to the house of Israel, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, Repent and turn away from your idols and turn your faces away from all your abominations.'” (NASB)

STRONGS HEBREW/GREEK ORIGINS

“Therefore say to the house of Israel, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, Repent (shuwb: turn, turn back, turn away, restore, render, recompense; to show a turning away) and turn away ("shuwb" again) from your idols and turn your faces (paniym: before, presence, sight, countenance) away from all your abominations (tow`ebah: abominable things, disgusting things, abomination, unclean, mixed, wickedness) .'”

SUMMARY

Tell My people that I say to them, "Turn away from all that you put before Me and turn your gaze away from all of your wicked and disgusting practices."

MEDITATION

Overall, why do you do what you do? What motivates you? Is it selfish ambition, wordly gain and personal preference? Is it to please the Lord with every thought and decision that you have before you? It's likely a little of both. Today, ask the Holy Spirit to reveal any unclean idol that your gaze might be upon. All else is quickly passing away - the things that are of the Kingdom of the Lord alone will remain forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

here's something I read yesterday..

Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
James 4:8

The beginning of verse eight was so tender, so comforting. "Come closer to God and He will draw closer to you as you move toward Him." Then, there was a shift and today's scripture is offered. Most commentaries agree that this message is intended for an entirely new audience. If I took comfort from yesterday's words, I should not be jolted by the change of tone in today's message. God's tender heart toward me remains constant.

Who is this message intended for? Those who hands or heart condemns them. Cleansing is for outward acts. Sanctification is for the heart. If I refrain from sinning with my hands, I am only halfway there. Though I may not be doing that which displease God, I am still drawn toward it, still thinking about it, still salivating at the thought of doing it. This is a sanctification problem. Sin is never a 'hands' issue, it is a heart crisis.

To be sanctified is to have my appetites completely re-written by the Spirit of God. He declares my inner world holy ground as I allow Him to change me completely. If my mind and heart were a house, and if Jesus were to visit, going from room to room, would my thoughts, appetites, dreams, longings be such that He would sigh in pleasure and say of it all, "Holy ground!" If not, I am double minded. Though I may be disciplined enough to keep from sinning, desires for things Jesus would not love are dominating my thought life.

For many Christians, sermons on this subject stop here. They go away and feel guilty for a heart that still desires what it does. Let me drive the message deeper. How do I change my appetite? If I'm really drawn to things that I should be dead to, how is change brought about? Not by self-condemnation and slapping my own hands. This will probably only intensify my hunger. Not by memorizing a passage of scripture and making it some magical mantra. This is to make it nothing more than an intellectual exercise. True change comes by way of influence. Time with a Person is the only way I evolve over time into someone new. My experience with Jesus, talking, listening, savoring each and every word that comes out of His mouth, will deepen my love for Him. What I love, I worship. What I worship, I become.

If I love the world, I don't know you well enough. Invade my heart in all the places I want the wrong things.

Amen

Christine Wyrtzen

blessings Joel,
Harriet