Saturday, September 24, 2011

1 Corinthians 13:4

“Love is patient....” (NASB)

STRONGS HEBREW/GREEK ORIGINS

“Love (agape:
agape: charity, brotherly love, affection, good will, benevolence) is patient (makrothumeo: bears long, suffers long, patiently enduring, perseveres patiently, enduring misfortunes and troubles; patient in bearing the offenses and injuries of others; mild and slow in avenging, slow to anger, slow to punish) ....”

SUMMARY

The charity and benevolence that originates from the Father bears long, endures much, is patient, mild and slow to punish in anger.

MEDITATION

I’ve been given a healthy dose of opportunities to show the agape of my Father lately. I have a one month old son! He cries for no reason, he chooses when he sleeps (when we sleep) and can, at times, push my buttons like no one else has… ever. With that being said, my love for him is like no other as well. He’s not earned it, worked for it or sought to make me love him, he just is. It’s his simple existence as my son that leads me to love him patiently. Is this not the same as our Father? I often think He must look at me in the same manner. Sometimes I’m completely oblivious to what He’s trying to give me – something that I need. At times I may even kick and scream and push Him away. Oh but the love of the Father! He patiently waits, enduring my obstinate nature, longing to come to me and hold me close. His awesome love never turns me away. Today, I want to ask you, do you know of this great, unconditional love? Have you experienced the love that overlooks all wrongs, errors and sees beyond the annoyances of humanity? If you have – if you truly have – then you’re obligated to spread this great agape of God to others. Love someone today, without condition, expectation or demands. It’s the heart of our loving and patient Creator.

No comments: